What Would You Be Like? - The Back Story

A while back I was perusing Tumblr and the homie, Carlyn posted something that I decided to read. It was life-altering to say the least. I read it & was kind of enlightened, not to sound over-dramatic. 
Sometimes the simplest things are the biggest catalysts once consumed & understood. I'd been on an intentional hiatus for a minute and hadn't written in forever. I'd tried a couple times but I never force myself to write. When I read this passage I ended up writing a song.


Carlyn's Post:
So I love the book “Eat. Pray. Love.” The main character travels to India during a year long journey towards self-discovery. She meets a friend who offers her the following advice on breaking with soul mates: 


“Your problem is you don’t understand what that word means. People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it.”
I think, to an extent, this can be applied to all relationships we have in life. That would make perfect sense according to this sentiment because, in theory, we will have multiple people who act as our mirrors. 
At the risk of sounding cliche, maybe when a mirror breaks it would be within our best interest not to piece together the shards in an attempt to recreate something that once was.
Miss them, send them some love and light every time you think of them, then drop it. I’ve tried it. Surprisingly, it worked like a charm.





What Would You Be Like? ][ Prod. by Mindreader ][ Single

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.