So I'm still in Covington, LA at The Green Room & Bettis and I just got off stage & finished breaking down the drum kit. I was so impressed tonight that I had to blog about it. Y'all know I'm not impressed often but OH WHEN I AM.....I REALLY AM!
We had a 30 minute set here in Covington & since I'm not a fan of hogging the stage or beating an unfamiliar audience over the head with unfamiliar music or my unfamiliar live show, I decided to share some of my set time with a fellow emcee. We originally extended the offer to a different emcee, but for what ever reason they told us at the last minute they couldn't do it. So the offer was passed on to Heata Best, and boy am I glad it was.
I'd only heard his music recently and was impressed by what I heard. Even still, recorded music can be so deceptive. Let's not talk about the first time I saw Jill Scott live SMH talk about a let down. Nevertheless, we asked Heata and he accompanied us to Covington, LA. I gave him an opportunity to do 4 tracks during the intermission of my set which is kind of crazy considering I'd never seen him live. For all I know he could've sucked. But my gut told me he could handle the crowd and a 4-song set.
MY GUT WAS RIGHT! Heata took the stage mid-way through my set and rocked the house. During his set a guy came to the merch table to get more info on Heata & sign-up for our mailing list so he could keep up with us.
He knew when to cut the music & do part of the song a capella, he engaged the audience, and even made a few lucky ladies in the front feel special, most importantly he ended on a high note. He won the crowd.
We usually get positive feedback after shows but Heata got his own share of love tonight which made me happy and proud.
Overall crazy love out here in Covington, including this one chick who came up to me after my set and told me she was gay and that "Girls Clockin spoke to [her] & did something for [her]." 0_0 >_>
Yea definitely a crazy night. But a good kinda crazy. Stay tuned & catch up with Heata Best on Twitter @HeataBestMusic
Oh & remember, opportunities are not lost, someone will take the ones you miss. ;O)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.