New Track: The Graduate.

Love this poem! I've been listening to it over and over since I got home from the studio. MAJOR SHOUTOUT TO REGGIE NICHOLAS by the way. The man's ear is crazy!! He's always finding ish and improving upon things I don't even catch, that is what you need in a good producer or engineer.

Anyway, this poem was inspired by, well, life. Y'all know I'm not one to talk about haters or like every other rapper claim I love my haters because they motivate me and bla bla bla. The truth of the matter is I don't like having haters. I want as many people to love my music, my art, my creations as humanly possible. Haters can be discouraging honestly, but in this case they were inspiring.

I've gotten flack over the years (mostly from my own extended family) for 1. choosing to go to an HBCU 2. Going to college away from home 3. Going to a private school my whole life. To those who told me or my mom I was crazy, siddity, or stuck-up: Kick Rocks! I'm a proud HBCU Graduate! If that makes me lame or soft as a rapper so be it. If it makes me siddity or stuck-up as a person, it is what it is. But if you really feel that way I have a feeling you don't know me at all.

Some homies of mine and I were asked once upon a time if we thought you had to go to school to be educated. Our initial responses were all the same: No. After further discussion our answer changed. The definition of Education and knowing what we know about the education process has lead us to the conclusion that being educated requires more than street sense, and requires more than reading books on your own. It also requires more than possessing the rare quality of common sense. 

This piece is about my reaction to those thoughts, comments, feelings, questions, etc. that came before, during, and after my quest for higher education. 

INTRODUCING.......


Listen.
Digest it.
Let the dialogue begin!


*SHOUTOUT: A FORMER CLASSMATE OF MINE REMINDED ME I NEED TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT & PROPER TO DR. CHANDLER! THE KNOWLEDGE SHE TAUGHT IS EVIDENT IN THIS POEM. SOMETIMES I COULDN'T STAND THAT LADY BUT HER RHETORICAL CRITICISM COURSE TAUGHT ME SO MUCH; PERHAPS MORE IN THAT COURSE THAN MY FRESHMAN & SOPHOMORE YEAR OF COLLEGE COMBINED. I RECOMMEND IT, THOUGH IT'S NOT FOR THE WEAK-HEARTED BECAUSE YOUR FEELIGNS MAY GET HURT & EGOS BRUISED. BUT IF YOU MAKE IT THROUGH THE COURSE YOU WILL BE SMARTER, WISER, AND A BETTER STUDENT IN THE END. iPROMISE.
Quantcast

27 comments:

  1. So I listened...: "WOW!!!Umm...i dont really kno where to begin or wat to say. You said so much and said it so perfectly. CRAZY!!! {feel my excitement?} I wanna share it with evry1" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I loved it.....Superb, ridiculously Superb!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good shit! I fuck wit it

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAMN! I want to hear that shit live, you went in on homeboy. Is this a real person said all that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And THAT is way I rock with you KAMMs.

    Shoutout goes to Dr. Chandler. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kamms I love it, I gets down with it in a serious way next time you perform this one let me know so I can be there

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUSTIN BOWERS "BAYsics"May 25, 2009 at 9:06 AM

    BAY GAME YAYAYAYAYAYAYADADADADADADA but foreal tho i was gangsta... i felt you kamms and dat dope beat... it went with the song... LOOKS LYKE OAKLAND GOT A DOPE EDUCATED RAPPER BOUT TO CHANGE IT UP.... WITH THAT BEING SAID, I SHOUT A YEE LOL... BUT KNOWLEDGE IS POWERFUL AND ITS LOOKS LYKE U FULLY EQUIPED TO GO AT THE PEOPLE MINDS WITH UR LYRICS>> ITS YA BRO BRO

    FRISCO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 4th def. of education says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that was hot...listened to it 3 times already lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound great, tell reggie that Wes B said what up, i gotta get that dudes number again. if he asks you about church, tell him it's great, i work 2 jobs so i'm not there as much & they have another sound man. i know you didn't need to know all that but, you'll probably see/talk to him before i do

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminded me of the poem "Bitch" by Carolyn Kizer.. How deep down she just wanted to attack and let her ex have it, but instead she stayed cool and collected. And thats what the 4 years of going to an HBCU taught you. how to just walk away from ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm in awww...wat more can i say! I LIKE

    ReplyDelete
  13. O btw u kno the only thing i didnt like...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kamm got a bit rowdy I was like ohhh

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this KAMMs!!! Ur like a genious when it comes to words... Looking forward to the LP... and like Taylor said I always wanna share your things with everyone! I see big things coming ur way!! Love u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dope is an understatement though truthfully

    ReplyDelete
  17. "The Graduate" by THESEKONDELEMENT=AMAZING!
    Preach gurl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jessica BrumfieldMay 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM

    so uummm yea, i'm feeling "the graduate." keep doing ya thing my ace!

    ReplyDelete
  19. head tilted slightly to the left.
    wordsmith by birth.

    fa sho.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wooooooww, sis I am completely blown away. U've really transformed from the artist that U used 2 b 2 the lyricist U R today. that poem was utterly amazing It was deep, passionate & encouraging all @ once. If I ever doubted u before, I am a believer now

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG i absolutely loved the track!

    ReplyDelete
  22. sooo....
    i woke in the middle of the night
    and thought about your poem
    u kil'd it

    ReplyDelete
  23. yo son...that was...beyond DEEP. im feelin in!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, loved it!
    And I feel the same way about Chandler's class. I feel like it's the only class that I will really take life lessons from and apply them from here on out. Good job Kameron!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Liked it. Thanks Kam! I've sent it on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is GREAT! Lovin it! will definately support...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks....very nice piece...I can actually understand the words and what she's saying. Great positive message, that makes sense about life and how it REALLY works. Like they used to say on American Bandstand...I like it...like the beat...I'll give it an 85!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.